Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Yi in[]action.

I didn't watch a ton of Bucks' basketball last year, but my understanding had been that Yi was alright. Due to chance, I've caught a few Olympic basketball games featuring China. I saw the US take apart China the other day, and today while I was killing some deadlifts, I caught some of the China-Spain game. Although China played pretty tough for most of the latter game while seeking revenge for the mockery perpetrated by the racist Spanish team, I still concluded that Yi isn't very good at basketball.

In the game agains the US, Yi was 4-13 shooting, 3 rebounds, 9 points, 2 turnovers. An "eh" performance from the Chinese "star." Then I caught this quote from Michael Redd (via ESPN's Chris Sheridan) that I think sums it up about right:

"You know, what I did see from him in the fourth quarter was resilience. He struggled, but he was still being aggressive. And as a young player you like to see that out of him. He has a lot of growing to do, but he's going to be terrific," Michael Redd said afterward of his former Bucks teammate, who he described as a nice, Americanized kid already well-versed in U.S. street lingo.

To which I [Chris Sheridan] responded, "Well, you guys got the better of that trade."


To which Redd quickly responded: "We did, oh we did, we did, we did, we did. We're happy, no question."

We did indeed.

Creative Commons License
All Original Photos are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. Creative Commons License
All Original writings are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.