Thursday, August 21, 2008

Batting Helmet Questions

There are two styles or types batting helmets used in MLB this season

The Smooth style which is what the Brewers use.


And the Vented Style which this two tone Mets helmet shows really well.



My big question is why would a team pick the smooth over the vented one? My guess is the vented ones have to be a lot cooler in the hot summer months when most of baseball is played.

I also never realized they have different color batting helmets almost like home and away as this picture shows you the darker Brewers helmet


The color thing I get but I would love to hear the Brewers reasoning for sticking with the old school non vented helmet.

It also looks like MLB requires the whole team to wear the same style I have been watching the Brewers the last couple of games and I have not seen one person wear the Vented style.

Same with teams that use the vented you do not see anyone wearing the smooth style.

I am sure MLB has a reason for all of this but I found it interesting.

Chris

Creative Commons License
All Original Photos are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. Creative Commons License
All Original writings are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.